The epoxy coating on the floors of showrooms, commercial garages, and your home garage is extremely durable. Given the correct treatment, an epoxy coating will last for decades. Read the following tips from the Orlando garage floors experts, Garage Design Works, on maintaining the epoxy coating on your floor so it will look its best for years – and decades – to come!
- Vehicles, machinery, and appliances are prone to leak. Clean up drippings quickly with a soft cloth or paper towels.
- Sweeping up debris with a soft bristle broom will keep your floor looking its best. In lieu of a broom, a commercial dust mop works wonders. Hard-bristle brushes may damage the epoxy finish.
- Heavily-soiled areas should be swept before mopping with a hard foam mop. A great cleaning solution is four to five ounces of ammonia per gallon of hot water.
- Soap-based and acid-based (vinegar or citrus) cleaners and winter road pre-treatment compounds may leave a film on the floors resembling haze or dulling. Many customers believe a dull floor is due to age, but epoxy floors stand the test of time. Ensure the cleaning products used on your home or business floor are basic rather than acidic, and skip the soap.
- If your floor appears dull from using incorrect cleaners, rinse with hot water and a deck brush. Depending on the amount of buildup, several rinsings may be necessary.
- Rust and other harsh stains can usually be removed with a kitchen scrubbing pad. If hot water and a good scrubbing do not remove the stain, a mild abrasive such as Soft Scrub may work. All other abrasive cleaners may strip the epoxy finish from the floor.
Everyday maintenance includes sweeping or wiping up spills. To keep debris from entering the work area, place a rubber welcome mat at entrance points to keep water, dirt, and dust from entering. While epoxy-coated floors are durable, they are not indestructible. If you note any discrepancies in your epoxy coating, contact Garage Design Works. Read our latest blogs for further information on maintaining your epoxy floor, and call the Orlando garage floors team of Garage Design Works at (407) 447-8890 for a free in-home consultation.