If you are thinking that moving your family room closer to your kitchen requires a room addition, think again. Your garage is already near the kitchen. Why not convert it into a family room that your family can enjoy for years to come? Orlando garage floors provider, Garage Design Works, has your guide to transforming your garage.
- Assess Your Needs: Consider how much of the work you can do yourself. What will require the expertise of a professional contractor for electrical and plumbing work as well as other home-improvement specialists? Will you need a bathroom, refrigerator, or sink? How will you arrange your furniture? Will you need extra outlets in certain places?
- Coat Your Floor: If possible, consider keeping your cement garage floor and coating it with a top-of-the-line epoxy garage floor coating. They come in decorative finishes and levels of durability.
- Climate-Control: If you will be using this room year round, you may want to purchase a climate-control system for those hot Florida days.
- Insulation: Insulate the walls and have them and the ceiling dry walled. Paint the walls a welcoming color that will complement your furnishings.
- Lighting: Think about installing track or recessed lighting to complement your table lamps and give you additional ambient or accent lighting .
- Storage: Either build in a bookcase with storage below, or purchase a piece of furniture that you can place next to a wall to serve the same purpose. Here you can store books for reading, as well as various board games.
- Ceiling Beams: If your ceiling is high enough, consider installing beams to give it a warm look and bring another texture into the room.
- Replace the Garage Door: Change out your garage door for large glass windows to bring the outside in and brighten the room. If there are times when you want privacy, have a remote-controlled shade installed to cover the large windows when needed.
- Entertainment: Place a large flat-screened TV on one wall and buy a portable gas fireplace to stand below it.
- Furniture: Place your couch in front of the TV and flank it with 2 end tables and lamps and a chair on either side. You may want to use an area rug in front of the couch and place a sturdy coffee table on the rug.
- Additional Exit: If you have space, consider adding a side door for additional access to your home.
Have you converted your garage into an inviting family room or game room? Let us know what you did to make it an extension of your home.
If you’re looking for a company with a proven track record of quality and excellent customer service, contact Garage Design Works today. We’re the Orlando garage floor coating experts you can trust to get the job done right.