Between pesticides and gasoline, general clutter, and tangled electrical cords, your garage can be a hazardous environment. But it doesn’t have to be that way! We have some suggestions to help you keep your garage a safe space for the entire family.
Lock Up Hazardous Materials
Every garage houses hazardous materials, which can include fertilizers, pesticides, car maintenance fluids, solvents, cleaning products, and more. In order to store these safely and appropriately, keep them out of reach of little hands in secure garage cabinets. Consider keeping them in one of our wall gearboxes to put them even more out of the way!
Electrical issues can introduce new safety hazards. Get rid of old, faulty circuits or frayed extension cords, and make sure you don’t overload your outlets. An extractable extension cord reel is a great, easy-to-reach option that keeps cords out of your way.
Imagine your children struggling to reach for their heavy sports equipment as they rush out on their way to practice, or tripping over a bag of spilled tennis balls. Keep a ball caddy or mesh basket on your slatwall system to make organization safe and easy.
It’s better to be safe than sorry! Even if you’re doing everything in your power to keep your garage safe, it’s best to be proactive. Keep a fire extinguisher readily accessible, and look into a heat detector or smoke alarm.
The Right Lighting
Don’t rely on dim, flickering overhead lights to illuminate your garage. Install lights over any work areas and stairs, light up the entryway of your garage, and install LED tape lights or adhesive, under-the-counter LED strips. You can also use motion sensor lights.
Slipping and Tripping Hazards
Is your garage floor cracked, old, or uneven? Are there old gasoline leaks that just don’t seem to budge? Does it feel dangerous to walk on the floor when it rains? If so, it’s time to install an epoxy coating. Our ArmorSeal floors are not only beautiful and come in a variety of colors, but they’re durable, chemical-resistant, and easily maintained. Water doesn’t penetrate the top coat, which prevents mold and bacteria growth.