There are many obstacles in life that make it difficult for you to move forward. One of these obstacles is a messy, overcrowded and cluttered garage. You stand there in your garage looking at your years of memories, collected possessions and house maintenance tools. There are a few broken things mixed in with old and new items. You know you want to throw some things out but you aren’t sure where to start. Well, here at Garage Design Works, we are here to help you with any garage storage needs from performing the tasks ourselves, to giving you tips. We treat each project like it were our own. We guarantee our work and therefore it is as much ours as it is yours. We understand how hard it is to let go of some things and how difficult it is to make the right decisions. Here are ten tips to help you on your mission of cleaning out your garage:
- Does it really mean something to you? If it relates to family or it’s something that you can pass on, keep it. If it is a family related but it doesn’t mean a lot to you, then throw it out.
- Ask Yourself: When was the last time you used it? Be realistic. If you haven’t used a certain item for a year or longer, you probably aren’t going to use it, miss it, or need it.
- How much did you pay for it? Think about how much you paid for it and if it’s worth throwing away or keeping.
- What’s the status of its condition? If it’s dirty, broken or ripped don’t keep it. Throw it away!
- How do you feel about it? If you are hesitant about keeping an item and think it’s just taking up space, toss it. It helps to think of the pros and cons before making a final decision.
- Ask yourself: Do you need it? Will it be such a terrible loss if you get rid of it? Will it affect your life in anyway?
- Get a second opinion. If you are completely stuck on a decision ask a friend or a family member for a second opinion.
- Proper disposal. Make sure you are disposing of items properly. Check your local laws about proper garbage disposal.
- If in doubt, sell it! If you have something that is still in good condition and not something to throw away, then sell it! A garage sale will not only clear your garage but you can also profit from it.
- Stick to your decisions! Be prepared to throw items away that aren’t always easy to let go.
At Garage Design Works, we can arrange every storage item to fit your needs and your garage for functionality and efficiency. With over 50 years of combined experience, our garage organization experts focus on innovative design and maximizing storage and organization. Contact us today at 407-447-8890 to learn more about our Orlando garage organization options we offer or to schedule your consultation.